I want to be a Freelance Journalist. What do you need to know?
Undoubtedly, working as a freelancer is a laborious and risky business. Theoretically, anyone can be called a freelance journalist because there are no fixed rules or qualifications for this type of activity. However, in practice, there are problems - they are associated with a lack of stable profits and the need for excellent self-organization. The ability will be recognized sooner or later. That's why talented journalists, who also have sufficient experience in freelance journalism, will become successful. There are a few things that will help you avoid at least some of the difficulties.
Act actively from the beginning
Starting a career and even finding freelance journalist jobs is the hardest part at the beginning. Articles signed by your last name should already be popular. You also need to be able to establish business contacts at informal meetings and organize your time well. Don't be afraid to ask experienced freelancers for advice. Sign up for online communities where you can also read helpful tips and identify how to work as a freelance journalist or something else.
- Search everywhere. To find your first orders, write to everyone you have ever worked with, tell that you are now looking for a job in freelance journalism. You will need to develop the ability of a manager and think about how to better promote your business. Social networks can help you. Place on freelance exchanges your portfolio that should look attractive to potential customers.
- Follow your finances. Moving solely to freelancing, you should follow your financial affairs, profits, and expenses, since you don't have a fixed freelance journalist salary now. If you have a lot of clients and orders then you should start your accounting book. The level of earnings depends on the scope of the activity, professionalism and the place in which you work.
- Don't be afraid to bother editors. Most editors will only be happy if you come up with an initiative - suggest the topic and idea yourself. However, you do not need to make regular phone calls, rather write a letter and wait a few days. The main thing is not to wait for someone to call you, but to produce ideas quickly. It is also important that you clearly and convincingly describe your idea and its benefits. If you do not know how to find work as a freelance journalist then think about who needs your services besides the traditional media. Find companies where your content is helpful, and these organizations may not yet know about it. So write a letter explaining how your work in freelance journalism can help the company’s business grow.
- Be strict with yourself. There is a danger of working too hard or, conversely, not devoting enough hours to work, so you may lose potential employers. Take the rule for yourself - even if you are busy, you still have to offer new ideas to potential customers at least twice a week. You must have a working schedule for freelance journalist jobs. Two sleepless nights and then three days of rest is not the best schedule. You should also not overestimate your strength - think about whether you can do the job at the right time: otherwise, you will fail clients.
- Think through pictures. Try to sell your materials and photos in a complex. You can collaborate with a photographer or take your pictures. The text and images in the set will make the topic more appealing to the aspiring editor and give you a preference in freelance journalism over your competitors.
How to become a journalist?
A journalist is an interesting profession for outgoing and inquisitive people. It involves constant communication with different people and participation in events. Many people become famous and opinion leaders in the field of freelance journalism. Many journalists do not have specialized education and come to the profession from other areas. However, there are special universities that train such people. Many customers want to see media publications or recommendations from editors. But if you are still a beginner freelance journalist, then you can start working with editors of different sites and newspapers. So you get the first experience and publications. Look for customers on special exchanges.
The practice is very important. You can go to the newsstands, get a job on a news site, go to training, in general, and use every opportunity to increase your knowledge and abilities. Before you get freelance journalist jobs, be sure to decide on a topic that interests you: sports, politics, show business, etc. Your freelance journalist salary is directly dependent on the number of articles you have taken from the publisher. To write good work, follow these tips:
- Outline a plan for future work on a topic of interest, and then, collect as many facts as possible.
- Analyze the collected material; remove any unnecessary and irrelevant facts. Thanks to these notes you will know where to start the article, how to develop the story and how to end it.
- Write in the simplest possible language so that everyone can read the article and understand everything in it.
- Find your style and prove yourself.
The profession of journalist attracts many with its independence, as a person is rarely tied to one place. You can travel, investigate, interact with different people, and learn a lot of new and interesting things. Many people want to grow into professionals in this field, but not everyone understands how to become a journalist. Interest in social activity wakes up at a young age, when a person visits various forums, follows the news, blogs, etc.
A competent, adequate person who simply and intelligibly writes texts of a specified volume on a given or thought up the topic can become a specialist. A good author should feel a certain “standard” of information, which is adopted in a particular publication.